The level of the damages awarded as compensation for personal injuries has risen slightly in the last year, with typical rates now being as follows:
- minor whiplash (full recovery within 2 years), between £2,500 and £4,600;
- loss of a front tooth, between £1,300 and £2,300;
- trivial scarring, between £1,000 and £2,000;
- significant scarring – female, between £10,500 and £17,500, male, between £5,300 and £10,500; and
- total loss of taste and smell, £22,600.
These are the typical compensation amounts for the injury only. Where there is, for example, a loss of income as a result of the injury, additional damages may be payable.