Margaretta Lewis, 87, had an electric wall radiator in her flat repaired by a workman. A few weeks later, the heater began making a strange noise. As she approached to investigate, it fell on top of her, knocking her unconscious.
A few hours later, Mrs Lewis awoke to find that her legs were trapped under the radiator and she had suffered burns. She was finally rescued the next afternoon when her 'Meals on Wheels' service arrived. In hospital, it was discovered that as well as suffering burns and a broken ankle, her hip was fractured.
The accident has left Mrs Lewis housebound. She is no longer able to go shopping, go for walks by the seaside or carry out routine daily tasks.
It emerged that the plumber who had repaired the radiator had fixed it to the wall using screws that were too small to support its weight and this had ultimately caused her injuries. He was traced and a claim brought against him for negligence. His insurance company has agreed to pay Mrs Lewis £20,000 in compensation.
The claim in this case was based on the negligence of the workman, which was the cause of the accident. If you are injured as a result of faulty workmanship or by a faulty product, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact us.